MANAGER, CLIMATE AND INDUSTRY ENGAGEMENT
(Maternity cover, April 2021 – December 2021)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Centre for Global Public Goods seeks to bring innovation and frontier approaches to help the international system be more agile and equipped to respond to today’s challenges. It will do this by helping the international community leverage public-private cooperation, the Fourth Industrial Revolution and systems thinking for improved management of the global commons and building sustainable markets for the 2030 development goals.
The centre’s activities include initiatives on environment and natural resource security, the future of food, the circular economy and the Fourth Industrial Revolution for the sustainable development goals. The Manager Climate and Industry Engagement will be responsible for supporting effective delivery of the Forum’s core activities on low carbon industry transition through the Mission Possible Partnership and related Forum climate initiatives working closely with a wide variety of external stakeholders from government, private sector and civil society. Currently related climate initiatives include the Forums Net Zero Challenge, The Alliance of CEO Climate Leaders, The Friends of Climate Action and the Corporate Governance Initiative.
Reporting lines and interactions
The Manager, Climate and Industry Engagement will report to the Executive Director of the Mission Possible Partnership, Centre for Global Public Goods. Internally, this person will work with colleagues throughout the centre as well as with colleagues the Centre for Global Industries and across the organisation, and externally with a broad range of stakeholders in the climate action agenda community.
Main responsibilities and deliverables
- Support the overall of key outcomes from the Mission Possible Partnership and related Forum climate initiatives with a specific focus on working with sector initiative teams on funding plans, roadmaps and CoP 26 deliverables for each industry sector.
- Over the next 6 – 8 months represent the Forum in key partnership meetings related to the full integration and execution of the Mission Possible Partnership, working closely with the Forum´s core partners the Energy Transitions Commission, Rocky Mountain Institute and We Mean Business to manage a smooth transition.
- Support the management of the Global Future Council on Net-Zero transition including organizing monthly Council-meetings, managing communication with GFC Co-chairs and members, and ensuring delivery of key Council outputs
- Support the preparation and execution of the Forum´s Climate Ambition Team´s sessions and engagements at the 2021 World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Singapore.
- Work closely with relevant UN teams, UN Member States, CoP 26 teams and other stakeholders to prepare and execute the Forum´s key CoP 26 milestones and events in Glasgow in November 2021.
- Support ad-hoc events, workshops and summits organized as part of the Forum´s Climate Action Drumbeat series of events.
- Represent the Forum at key events relevant to delivering the goals of the Mission Possible Platform and related Forum climate initiatives.
The successful candidate will be assessed on
- Clear understanding of the global climate action agenda and existing relationships with key stakeholders
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and resilience
- Ability to work well within a team, autonomous, organized, flexible and able to handle a high-pressure environment
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Robust critical thinking, analytical and attention to detail
- Open to creative approaches to problem-solving and able to synthesize a large amount of information
- Team spirit, flexible, service oriented and committed to the collective output of a team project
Preferred requirements and experience
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in science, business administration, strategy management or a similar field
- 10 years of relevant professional experience with strong track record in community engagement, project management and international relations
- Good understanding of the international climate change policy framework and climate action community
- Experience of engaging with leaders in public and private sector organisations
- Fluent in English, fluency in other languages would be an asset
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.