LEAD, CLIMATE AMBITION INITIATIVES
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting
The Centre for Global Public Goods seeks to bring innovation and frontier approaches to help the international system be more agile and equipped to respond to today’s challenges. It will do this by helping the international community leverage public-private cooperation, the Fourth Industrial Revolution and systems thinking for improved management of the global commons and building sustainable markets for the 2030 development goals.
The World Economic Forum’s Climate Ambition Initiative facilitates and stimulates substantive public-private collaboration on global environmental issues. The initiative acts as a knowledge hub and catalyst for collaboration between leaders from industry, academia, government, international organizations and civil society. The Project/Climate Lead will be responsible for leading effective delivery of the Forum’s core activities on climate action strategy to create significant impact working closely with a wide variety of external stakeholders from government, private sector and civil society.
A key focus for 2020-2021 will be substantive public-private collaboration between business, governments and international organizations to drive high climate ambition outcomes at COP26 in Glasgow. This will involve leading the strategic coordination of the Forum´s climate action drumbeat in the lead up to COP26 working closely with the High Level Climate Champions secretariat and other key stakeholders from government, private sector and civil society.
Reporting lines and interactions
The Climate lead will report to the Executive Director of the Mission Possible Platform, Centre for Global Public Goods. Internally, this person will work with colleagues throughout the centre as well as with colleagues across the organisation, and externally with a broad range of stakeholders in the climate action agenda community to effectively deliver on the Forum´s corporate climate action strategy objectives.
- Support the Head of the Climate Communities with the development of the ‘Alliance of CEO Climate Leaders’ to continue to drive leadership on climate action within the Forum and in partnership with external initiatives
- Provide strategic input in addition to day-to-day management for the development of the ‘Net Zero Challenge’ to track progress of companies in setting and delivering a ‘net zero by 2050’ goal
- Ensure the community derives value and meets the objectives of the net-zero challenge project.
- Support the management of the Global Future Council on Net Zero Transition, a high level community of representatives from the private sector, civil society and government working to accelerate corporate net zero action.
- Project implementation: Support the management and implementation of a number of large multistakeholder workstreams or initiatives on climate change to develop collaborative solutions
- Relationship management: Develop, sustain and deepen project issue collaboration with senior executives, academic leaders and government officials, as well as with internal Forum staff
- Content development: Conduct research and develop related content on wider World Economic Forum climate change and business sustainability publications and events
- Provide regular updates to the senior management team relevant to the emerging corporate climate action agenda and key areas for the Forum to provide a role in driving system change.
- Provide strategic input to developing content and convening key stakeholders at key Forum events to progress the discussion and delivery of corporate action to address climate change.
- Manage the climate specialist(s) in the team and work closely with the communications specialist in the team and support his/her developments
- Assist with events planning and logistics for all project-related efforts
The successful candidate will be assessed on
- Clear understanding of the global climate action agenda and existing relationships with key stakeholders
- Experience working with businesses on climate action
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and resilience
- Ability to work well within a team, autonomous, organized, flexible and able to handle a high-pressure environment
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Robust critical thinking, analytical and attention to detail
- Open to creative approaches to problem-solving and able to synthesize a large amount of information
- Team spirit, flexible, service oriented and committed to the collective output of a team project
Preferred requirements and experience
- Minimum 10 years relevant professional experience in public, private or civil society sectors on climate change, sustainability, global environment and related areas
- Strong academic background, including a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in economics, public policy, international relations, environmental studies or other related fields
- Strong track record in project management and delivery of business and sustainability-related initiatives
- Have an established a network of contacts in the environment sector
- Proven coordination and communication skills for a dynamic and evolving organization
- Ease with working in a fast-paced, highly demanding environment, balancing multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and navigating ambiguity
- Excellent written and spoken English, knowledge of another other language is an asset
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and cooperation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.