COMMUNITY & INITIATIVES LEAD
COVID RESPONSE ALLIANCE FOR SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS
(Temporary position – 12 months)
The World Economic Forum is looking for a Community & Initiatives Lead for the COVID Response Alliance for Social Entrepreneurs , with a targeted start date of April 20201. The position involves a 12 month role in a growing team.
Who are we and why are we hiring?
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation. The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
In May 2020, 60 leading global organizations in social entrepreneurship - collectively representing over 50,000 social entrepreneurs and touching the lives of over 1 billion people - launched the COVID Response Alliance for Social Entrepreneurs . The Alliance was co-initiated by and hosted by the World Economic Forum. Its mission: To bring recognition to and support social entrepreneurs as vital first responders to the COVID-19 crisis and as pioneers of a new economic reality.
The Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship , which has co-initiated the launch of the Alliance, is the sister organization of the World Economic Forum and the leading close to 400 social innovators and change-makers from around the world. We are a team of 4 people working full time on the Foundation’s traditional Award Programming and another 4 people dedicated to guiding the Alliance through its next phase of work.
Since its inception, the Alliance has grown to 85 members that have committed to a shared Social Enterprise Action Agenda and are working together around their Alliance’s 2021 Roadmap , a portfolio of 20+ projects and thematics of transformative importance to the sector.
The position of Community and Initiatives Lead within the Alliance Secretariat will be responsible for ensuring the success of Alliance members’ Action Projects and for managing partnerships and connections between our internal and external stakeholders so that they take full advantage of the Forum’s knowledge, platform, and community of global decision makers.
How does this role fit with the wider team?
The role can be Geneva based or operate remotely. You will report directly reporting to the Head of the COVID Response Alliance for Social Entrepreneurs. You will be part of a growing team of four within the Alliance, yet work in close collaboration with the Schwab Foundation team including the Head of the Schwab Foundation. You will have management responsibilities for a full-time Community Management Specialist who will be supporting your portfolio of activities. Within the Forum, you will work with colleagues in the broader Platform for Global Public Goods (PGPG) of which the Schwab Foundation is part. Externally you will work with a broad range of stakeholders from the Alliance and the community.
What would your core areas of responsibilities be?
You would act as the day-to-day lead for the Alliance’s programmatic and membership related activities, most notably any activities surrounding our Alliance’s 2021 Roadmap .
Jointly responsible for maintaining an active and engaged Alliance community with ownership for the day-to-day interactions with our Alliance “inner circle of leaders”. This would include:
- Playing an active role in managing the Alliance community of 85 (dd. March 3rd 2021), which includes designing suitable community processes, templates, and tools for the broader team to engage and build a thriving community
- Lead the design and delivery of All Alliance Community monthly meetings and coordination calls, in close collaboration with the Head of Alliance and leading members
- Coordinating relationships and check-ins with Alliance members, providing guidance to existing and incoming members, being a trusted thought partner to members, and a bridge builder where needed
- Liaise with internal Forum platforms and communities that are of relevance to the Alliance on an ongoing basis, acting as a valued bridge between such communities and the projects taking place as part of our Roadmap
- Tracking and improving member engagement in COVID Alliance activities and platforms, in liaison with the Coms and Events Lead and the Head of Alliance
- Closely collaborating with our team’s Communications & Events lead to manage the Alliance’s online communities, including the Forum’s official community platform ‘TopLink’ as well as our Slack workspace
- Managing and building a small Community Management team together with a Community Specialist who will be reporting to you
Responsible for managing and coordinating the Alliance’s 2021 Roadmap. This Roadmap includes 10 areas of work (“clusters”) and within that 21 action projects, all led by sub-groups of Alliance members. Projects include regional mobilization of social enterprise ecosystems, policy roadmap for 2021, social enterprises in corporate supply chains, and capital relief, among many others. This would include:
- Aligning on strategic priorities for each project and cluster, managing progress against pre-identified goals/ KPIs, and activities, and surfacing challenges or opportunities on a day-to-day basis
- Helping to ensure that projects are sufficiently resourced, which may include identifying and converting funding needs and opportunities
- Managing the workflow of Action Project in coordination with Member leads (driving regular meetings and deliverables; see also Community Management above)
- Liaising with a Communications & Events Lead on a regular basis to find synergies and opportunities for showcasing Action Projects in international fora and media outlets
- Tracking as well as reporting on Action Project progress and success, as well as sharing such progress within and outside of the Alliance community
What core skills you must have to apply for the role and what background and experience do you bring?
We value high performing and dynamic individuals who are willing to make a difference by putting their best talents to use in high-impact, pioneering partnership initiatives. With a demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, you would be eager to showcase your aptitude to build multi-sectoral coalitions and liaise with business leaders and leading issue experts in academia, international organizations, governments and non-governmental organizations, as well as with representatives from civil society and grassroots organizations. Some concrete skills and capabilities we are looking for, fitting to your position:
- Broad intellectual background with a graduate degree with considerable expertise in the field of social entrepreneurship, impact investing and/or sustainable transformation of business
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in project management, community management, and strategic partnership building in a multicultural environment – Consulting experience is considered a plus
- Demonstrated organizational, planning and communication skills (verbal, written and editorial) Fluency in English, with French language skills being valued
- Demonstrated Team orientation with strong ability to drive projects autonomously as needed; fully committed to project deliverables and at the same time to teamwork
- Thrives working in fast-paced, dynamic environments, where resilience, flexibility and self-starting attitude are absolute must-haves
- Ability to work both at a conceptual, analytical, and a detail-oriented level; with a high bar for delivering high-quality outputs at all times
- Strong command of office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Familiarity with virtual tools, Zoom and related virtual conferencing tools a plus
What will you be assessed on?
- Effective and efficient delivery on the above-mentioned roles and responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including writing of content
- Teamwork and flexibility which is critical given the nature of the work and a small team
- Feedback from internal team and external partners on quality and impact of delivery
Why should you apply?
If you believe your background, skills, experience and interest matches the above – we would love to connect with you. We offer our new team members:
- An opportunity to become a driver for positive change together with 80+ global leaders in social entrepreneurship, operating within the Forum as one of the most influential platforms in the world
- An opportunity to work on the most pressing issues for social entrepreneurs across the world through concrete action projects – led by our members, amplified by our Secretariat team
- An opportunity to shape and deliver strong media content and events, learning with and from our broader Forum community
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life, who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and co-operation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. If that is in line with who you are and what you aspire for your professional live, we look forward to receiving your application.