Project Design and Communications Specialist, Global AI Action Alliance
Centre for the Fourth Industrial Global Network
San Francisco, CA
The World Economic Forum Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution Network (C4IR) is looking for a Project Lead for the Global AI Action Alliance. The Specialist will join a high-profile team of experts working to shape the trajectory of emerging technologies, maximizing their benefit to society while reducing potential risks.
AI is transforming virtually every industry and reshaping billions of lives. As the transformative potential of AI has become clear, so, too, have the risks posed by unsafe or unethical AI systems. Recent controversies on facial recognition, automated decision-making and COVID-related tracking have shown that realizing AI’s full potential requires strong buy-in from citizens and governments, based on their trust that AI is being built and used ethically. Many companies and governments have recognized this, and progress has been made in defining ethical principles for the development and use of AI – to date over 175 separate sets of principles have been proposed. While the explosive growth in AI ethics guidelines is welcome, it has created an implementation gap – it is easier to define the ethical standards a system should meet than to design and deploy a system to meet them. It has also created learning gaps, with activities happening in silos and few mechanisms in place to drive action and impact at global scale.
The Project Design and Communications Specialist will join the Forum’s Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning team to launch The Global AI Action Alliance: A new, flagship international initiative aimed at closing these gaps and accelerating the adoption of inclusive, trusted, and transparent AI globally and across industry sectors. The Specialist will provide key support to ensure that the Alliance’s branding, communications, marketing materials, project documentation, public messaging, and member engagements are compelling, effective, coordinated, and aligned with the Forum’s broader brand identity as well as the communications objectives of the Alliance’s multi-stakeholder partners.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment to create and deliver a brand identity, messaging strategy, communications plan, and key brand assets (including a website) for the Alliance, determining key tasks, timelines, and milestones (in collaboration with relevant Forum teams)
- Design and maintain compelling marketing and communications materials, project templates, and messaging campaigns for the Alliance itself as well as its constituent projects, working with Forum colleagues and external partners to ensure consistent and high-quality messaging and visuals
- Drive effective coordination of communications activities across the Alliance’s projects, through a highly collaborative approach and effective project and process management and communication
- Incorporate key stories and representatives from partner companies, governments, civil society, academia and other stakeholders into the Alliance’s messaging and documentation.
- Find and create new opportunities to showcase the Alliance and its projects and members, to build the Alliance’s profile as a key global hub accelerating the use of AI to benefit humanity.
- Coordinate session design for all Alliance workshops and webinars, incorporating best practices in interaction design to ensure consistent excellence across Forum-run and partner-run events
- Manage the process of submitting communications materials through the Forum’s editing and layout process for the Alliance’s marketing materials and public and partner communications
- Other responsibilities as team needed and/or as priorities shift or new needs arise.
- Master’s degree in relevant domain with 1-3 years relevant professional experience.
- Exceptional skill in designing written and visual materials to deliver complex, nuanced messages in line with long-term communication strategies and objectives.
- Experience designing high-impact interactions in both in-person and virtual contexts.
- Self-starting, customer-driven team player with strong organization and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication skills and English fluency, both spoken and verbal.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple nuanced projects in a highly collaborative context and thrive in situations of high ambiguity with multiple objectives and diverse stakeholders.
- Some knowledge of and demonstrated interest in AI and technology policy.