Project Specialist, Food Systems Initiative
(1-year maximum-duration contract)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the international organization for public-private cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
Why we are recruiting:
The World Economic Forum’s System Initiative on Shaping the Future of Food is galvanizing individual, institutional and global leadership required to shape the future of food systems. Over the last 14 years, the System Initiative has established a common agenda and platform that now enables more than 700 diverse organizations to collaborate and learn together, resulting in multistakeholder partnership initiatives in 25 countries. The Transformation Leaders Network (TLN) was created by the Forum with the aim of building a network of cross-sector leaders and global experts to exchange experiences and develop actionable models based on evidence and good practice.
The food systems initiative aims to launch a refreshed “Transformation Leaders Network” starting in 2020 that would:
• Promoting systems leadership
• Scaling impact of gamechanger initiatives
• Developing self-promoting local models and networks
• Unlocking Systems Influence
This role represents an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and self motivated individual with a strong sense of project management to work with a team at the forefront of platform and partnership curation in the creation of next generation of multistakeholder partnerships and systems thinking. In that capacity, we are seeking a Project Specialist for the Food Systems Initiative who will manage the re-launch of the Transformation Leaders Network as a key mechanism to ground global insights into local action through a network of frontline practitioners. In addition, engage across the Forum’s teams and partners to translate high level strategic conversations into specific action platforms around key transformative issue areas as they relate to food systems. The Food System team is part of the Centre for Global Public Goods at the World Economic Forum.
Reporting Lines & Interactions:
The Project Specialist will report to the Head of Strategy and Global Projects at the Centre for Global Public Goods. Internally, this person will work with colleagues throughout the organization and a broad range of stakeholders including curating the Transformation Leaders Network comprised of partner companies, governments, civil society, farmer leaders and others.
Community Management and Curation
• Lead on the development of the next phase of the Transformation Leaders Network, a multistakeholder community of practice to drive innovation, collaboration, and learnings. and related coordination with overall food systems strategy
• Manage the membership (current and new) of the Transformation Leaders Network,
• Engage with selected internal constituent teams: Civil Society, Tech Pioneers, Young Global Leaders, Global Shapers, Innovators and other experts.
Project Management on Food Systems
• Support workstreams contributing to the UN Food Systems Summit – including on the Innovation – a cross-cutting lever to support 5 action tracks defined by the UN Summit team – as WEF is the key lead for the innovation lever.
• Responsible for development and operations of the Innovation lever including project management, workshops, stakeholder outreach, research and analytical support and reporting
• Responsible for the overall strategy and coordination of the Transformation Leaders Workshop (annual and semi-annual in-person meetings of the network around the world), with support from events coordinator.
• Engaging diverse teams and coordinating external partners including a design partner to deliver 1-2 multi-day workshops in a year
Communications and Team Support
• Contribute to communications and strategy materials for the food systems initiative and platform for global public goods teams
• Support team on annual events (Annual Meeting in Davos, Sustainable Development Impact Summit, Regional Events) and project-related needs ad hoc and as relevant for the main responsibilities mentioned above.
The successful candidate will be assessed on:
• Delivery of agreed targets including refreshing TLN members across a balance of stakeholder categories, increase number of new stakeholders (new industries, new non-business and new experts involved in the network), and other measurable efforts to deepen engagement with TLN members.
• Deliver successful workshops and outcomes related to the Transformation Leaders Network contributing to the effective delivery of food systems strategy.
• Ability to develop and implement project specific deliverables, including workshops, reports and institutional engagement related to Food Systems Summit with regards to the Innovation lever.
Preferred requirements and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred in international relations, agriculture and food security, environmental management, or a related field, with 4-6 years of experience in project management in a company or international organization.
• High-level analytical and organizational skills
• Capacity to apply critical thinking, consult broadly, develop strategies, work collaboratively in a team and manage both long- and short-term objectives
• Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multicultural environment and build and manage trust-based relationships with senior level stakeholders
• Track record of successful event management
• Flexible, committed, mature team player and self-starter who enjoys and has a successful track record working in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment, and can manage multiple priorities and deadlines
• Professional demeanour and ability to liaise with senior leaders and experts in academia, international organizations, governments and NGOs
• Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office and experience working across a range of digital platforms and tools; experience working with Salesforce preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluency in spoken and written English; additional languages would be an asset
• Passionate and committed, with a demonstrated interest in international development/food and agriculture sectors/sustainability and nutrition issues
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and co-operation, shaping mind-sets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change!