BMT is a leading international design, engineering, science and risk management consultancy with a reputation for engineering excellence. We're driven by a belief that things can always be better, safer, faster and more efficient. For more information please visit www.BMT.org.
The Surveys team of BMT has offices in Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Antwerp. The company is providing a wide portfolio of services in cargo, nautical and technical matters, is specialized in investigating claims and damages in the maritime sector, providing risk assessments and audits on board seagoing vessels. Our clients are parties involved in the maritime and insurance industry and are mainly owners, operators of vessels, liability insurers (P & I Clubs), Hull and Machinery underwriters, cargo insurers, operators of offshore equipment, cranes, etc.
About the role
The Technical Manager leads daily business of the Amsterdam office. He/she is an ambitious business leader with an exceptional interpersonal leadership style and has the capacity to motivate and support the team to drive the best out of themselves and each other. Key principles in the business are ‘lead by example’. The technical manager will deliver his business views and plans and work in close consultancy with the managing director, he / she actively engages to provide opinions to enable growth and to build on core capabilities as well as to the more innovative parts of the survey business.
As a Marine Surveyor, you will be responsible for completely and independently dealing with the investigation of damage claims and rendering advice to principals. The work is extremely varied and makes demands on you intellectual and analytical capabilities as well as your knowledge in the field of maritime operations and shipping.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading the daily business of the Amsterdam office
- Responsible and accountable for finance elements in relation to turnover and utilisation of staff
- Key contact for clients
- Organizing surveys for the Marine / Technical Surveyors
- Monitoring the quality of experts reports (reviewing and discussing reports)
- Training and coaching of the Marine Surveyors
- Liaise with customers and participation networking drinks to develop business
- Actively looking for new survey opportunities in order to grow the BMT market share in the region
- Carry out a wide range of surveys (including vessel condition inspection, container ship inspection, cargo gear inspection) using specialist knowledge and experience
- Prepare survey reports in Dutch and English based on observations and findings during investigations
- Assist clients with advice to mitigate loss, such including reconditioning and salvage sales
- Assess or recommend the time and costs of the work to be undertaken for an external client, assisting in identifying the most appropriate fee and cost structure
- Ensuring that high quality reports are prepared within budget and contractual requirements
- Submit reports to client within given timescale
- Conduct activities in line with internal procedures, accreditation schemes, legislation, and industry standards
- Ensure that safety requirements are understood and always adhered to
- Pursue Continuous Professional Development and maintain a high degree of discipline, knowledge, and awareness
- Provide guidance to colleagues, as appropriate, and disseminate information to achieve effective knowledge transfer and application
The ideal candidate will have:
- HBO bachelor’s degree, preferably completed a Maritime Academy (Hogere Zeevaartschool - MAROFF)
- Sea-going experience
- Experience as Marine Surveyor
- Sound nautical knowledge and experience with marine cargoes
- Excellent written and spoken command knowledge of both Dutch and English language
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Team player as well as being able to work autonomously
- Flexibility (no nine-to-five mentality) and representative